Sunday, July 8, 2007

Lazy Sunday at the Jan Platt Library

Since I was a kid, I've been a fan of the library. Yes, I'm in that dying breed that still reads a newspaper as much as I can and, when on vacation or time allows, reads a good novel.
But going to the library for me has never been just about reading a book, it's one of those unsung gathering places for any community -- some people still go there for research, some to find books and some just to loiter (seen and be seen).
It sounds cheesy but it is so relaxing and soothing for me to spend a few hours at the Jan Kaminis Platt Library on S. Manhattan Ave., to pick a good newspaper or book and watch people walking in and out. You see all kinds of people, an eclectic mix that rivals Bay Street at International Plaza (not in looks but in variety).
Thiso modern library opened aroud 2000 and has become especially popular recently with kids and older people alike using its free Internet access. People sit around a bank of computers, staring and typing at computer screens which is an odd sight though we all probably look that possessed when we use the Internet at home.
To really relax, you need to go to the reading area off to the side as well with free copies of the major local and national newspapers (USA Today, New York Times, Wall Street Journal, etc.) and major weekly magazines. There's a great kids section to drop the kids off while you browse and there's a video/DVD selection that focuses on the more obscure, artistic titles you won't find at Blockbuster.
My visits there, as in other cities I've lived, can be quiet and chance to escape into some meditative world of education, a chance to read and take in articles on topics I would not normally be able to focus on in our normally hectic lives.
I would say my only pet peeve is the inherent laziness and unhelpfulness of the staff. I have been to libraries where people at least pretended to like their jobs of helping others and answering questions. Some of the staff at this library are downright condescending and, if you EVER have to question a fine for a late return, ha, good luck! Otherwise, the benefits of this public library as any other can leave you refreshed and educated, which is all you can ask for on a lazy Sunday afternoon.

No comments: