Saturday, July 14, 2007

Pei Wei's: P.F. Chang's casual sibling opening Carrollwood and South Tampa locations


I have never had a bad meal, or even a bad dish, at P.F. Chang's, the upscale Asian restaurant at Westshore Mall. The food has always been delicious and the hearty portions are great for sharing with others in your party. I am not a huge fan of chain restaurants, of which there are plenty in Tampa. But no matter what city I've eaten, no matter what others in my party have ordered, P.F. Chang's has been consistently delicious and satisfying.
So it was with high expectations that I first dined at Chang's little stepbrother, a cheaper, more casual version, Pei Wei's Asian Diner, which opened less than a month ago at the Mission Bell Shopping Plaza (Fletcher and Dale Mabry Hwy.) in Carrollwood and will open a second location in South Tampa (S. Dale Mabry, north of Azeele) within two weeks.
Sleekly designed with modern Asian decor (a Hello Kitty ceramic sits atop the spices shelf), Pei Wei's menu is displayed on a huge signboard as you wait inline at the the cash register to order.
You pick which protein (chicken, shrimp, beef, shrimp, etc) to add to a variety of Asian-influenced dishes, namely noodle/rice bowls or some of the "signature" dishes you'd find on the menu at Chang's (yes, lettuce wraps too!). Though the portions are not as large, the meals I had were just as tasty and more economical. Food is delivered to your table after you pay, order and get your drink.
My favorites were the Japanese udon noodles that I ordered with chicken and shrimp -- difficult to find in any Japanese restaurant in Tampa. During other visits, I also enjoyed the teriyaki bowl, fried rice bowl and a honey seared chicken dish. All were full of flavorful spices and sauces and the vegetables were fresh and tasty.
I expect Pei Wei's to hit it big in Tampa (same menu for lunch and dinner), and I think the P.F. Chang's influence and popularity will make a difference after the failed Mama Fu's experiment closed down two years ago in South Tampa. This area needs more casual Asian dining, I am just not a big fan of your New York-style Chinese takeout places full of MSG and salt. I think Pei Wei's will fill this area's need of healthier, more casual dining, it is worth a try.


No comments: