Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Treat the Customer Better, It'll Help

So often, and especially when you go to a retail store, it's not what is said that matters as much as HOW it is said. So on Friday, I bought a light switch panel for my condo that happened to be the wrong color. I went back to exchange my $2.27 purchase only to find I had lost the receipt.
Big deal, you say? Oh yes--it appears not much is simple at the return desk at the New Tampa Home Depot, where there was one lonely clerk left to help a line of 5 or 6 customers.
So much is right with customer service these days and so much else is wrong, that it always amuses me when I read items like today's Wall Street Journal where lower earnings forecasts at Home Depot are blamed on the weakened housing market.
Not even the strongest housing market could have improved my experience at Home Depot Friday, where the clerk asked me for my driver's license. Without consent or prompting, he input the driver's license number into the computer. When I told him I didn't want that information recorded for privacy reasons, he snottily told me it was their return policy and he wouldn't be able to exchange my items if I refused.
As I incredulously discussed further, he said the manager of the store could speak to me but that he would say the same thing. Wow, at some point, these huge fat companies will realize how to treat their customers and then realize external issues like a weak housing market and or weak economy do hurt, but not as much as rude customer service.

2 comments:

Tampa I Am said...

Keep your receipts..it makes returns a whole lot easier, unless you plan on exchanging...

StayClassy said...

I should add that the posted return policy at the store stated, "We reserve the right to request identification from you." It does not specify your driver's license nor does it state your DL# will be recorded.
I also received an email from "Siddesh" at Home Depot that stated: "At Home Depot, we take privacy and security of personal data very seriously. Home Depot has developed a Consumer Privacy & Security Statement as our commitment to honoring the privacy and security of our
customers.
We would like to offer you a $15 Home Depot Gift Card in the hope that your next shopping experience will be a more pleasurable one." Sounds like a canned response to me!